Saturday, August 1, 2026

At the Lattice

by Alfred Austin.

Originally published in Temple Bar (Ward and Lock) vol.3 #11 (Oct 1861).


                                Behind the curtain,
                                With glance uncertain,
                Peeps pet Florence as I gaily ride;
                                Half demurely,
                                But, though purely,
                                Still most surely
                Wishing she were riding, riding by my side!

                                In leafy alleys
                                Where twilight dallies,
                Pleasant were it, bonnie, to be riding rein to rein;
                                And where Summer tosses
                                All about in bosses
                                Velvet verdant mosses,
                Still more pleasant surely to dismount us and remain.

                                Oh, thou beauty,
                                Hanging ripe and fruity
                At the muslined lattice in the drooping eve,
                                Whisper from the casement
                                If that blushing face meant,
                                "At the cottage basement,
                Gallant, halt! I come to thee! I come and never leave."

                                But if vagrant lashes
                                Raise for whoso dashes
                Past thy scented lintel in the waning light,
                                Close the lattice, sweetest!
                                Darkness is discreetest;
                                And with bridle fleetest
                I will gallop onward, unattended, through the night.

August 1, 1861.

The Black Ring<sup>[1]</sup>

by the Author of "Leonie Vermont" [Baroness Blaze de Bury]. Originally published in Bentley's Miscellany (Richard Bentley) v...